Benefits and drawbacks – Rewrite engine
- The links are “cleaner” and more descriptive, improving their “friendliness” to both users and search engines.
- They prevent undesired “inline linking”, which can waste bandwidth.
- They hide the inner workings of a web site’s address to visitors, which can prevent them from discovering query strings that could compromise the site.
- The site can continue to use the same URLs even if the underlying technology used to serve them is changed (for example, switching to a new blogging engine).
- There can, however be drawbacks as well; if a user wants to modify a URL to retrieve new data, the rewrite engine may hinder the construction of custom queries due to the lack of named variables.