PEAR is short for “PHP Extension and Application Repository” and a framework and repository for reusable PHP components. . Stig S. Bakken founded the PEAR project in 1999 to promote the re-use of code that performs common functions.The purpose of PEAR is to provide:
- A structured library of open-source code for PHP users
- A system for code distribution and package maintenance
- A standard style for code written in PHP
- PEAR’s mission is to provide reusable components, lead innovation in PHP, provide best practices for PHP development and educate developers.
- Offers a command-line interface that can be used to automatically install “packages”.